Saturday, September 20, 2008

because the song says so

I don't have a problem at all when someone refers to the Bible, you know, God's holy word, and claims that we should act upon the words that are written in scripture. In fact I think that it is great! Especially in a worship setting! For instance, if during a worship service this was read it could only better the worship experience, for me at least. Psalm 30:4 - "Sing to the LORD, you saints of his; praise his holy name."

However, I find it odd that we are charged at times to do things because thats what the song says. The song says "we lift our hands," "I rejoice," or "You deserve the glory," and now you are asking me to do this because the song says to. Hmmm. And yet when asked to apply that to my life I find myself thinking are you and idiot? Even when it does agree with scripture, NEVER NEVER NEVER ask me do something because thats what the song says. Charge me with scripture (in context please) but NEVER because this song says.

4 Comments:

At September 23, 2008 at 8:49 AM , Blogger Sweet Yet Sassy said...

I understand what you are saying about scripture and I agree.

But with the music, you don't think this helps teach those that aren't sure where to start worshipping or even what it means to worship?

 
At September 24, 2008 at 8:31 AM , Blogger bmusic24 said...

I do not think that music is what teaches us to worship. Those songs are just an avenue for us to worship, because ultimately you don't need any song or music to worship. It is just how some enjoy worship. But using the Bible is where we learn about worship.

 
At September 24, 2008 at 8:47 AM , Blogger Sweet Yet Sassy said...

It may the only avenue that some people are ever introduced to and although you have a valid point, I do think that getting people involved in worship is an integral part of the worship leaders position. As a leader you are doing what? Leading people to follow.....

 
At September 25, 2008 at 5:27 AM , Blogger Amy said...

I agree with SYS...If a song is scriptural, then wouldn't it be safe to say that the leader is asking you do to those things because the Bible tells you to, not because the song says it. I think it's important to understand the lyrics you are singing and if you are merely singing the lyrics because that's what is portrayed on the screen and not fully understanding and taking part in what they say, why are you singing the song in the first place?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home